Poisonous Pest You May Encounter in Your Garden

Source: http://www.organicfarmingblog.com/poisonous-pest-encounter-garden/

Poisonous Pest You May Encounter in Your Garden

http://www.4motivi.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/spider.jpg

For most avid gardeners, the first thing to do after waking up and making your cup of coffee is to inspect the garden. Spending time clipping, weeding, staking and just walking around. Being in a garden, especially a healthy one can be very relaxing, but it can also invite different forms of life, like insects. And there are a few of these insects that can do serious harm.

Following are some insects you need to avoid.

Black Widow Spider. This spider has a very distinctive hourglass- shaped mark on its abdomen and can be found in temperate regions of the world. Although most bite victims do not die, bites from black widow spider can be fatal to children and elderly. The bite can paralyze the nervous and respiratory system and also causes nausea, severe muscle aches and breathing difficulty. First aid Treatment: Clean bitten area with soap and water, apply cold compress and see a doctor immediately.

Centipede. This crawler is very common throughout the U.S. It is brown or red in color and has an elongated, segmented body that has a pair of legs on each segment. It thrives in temperate regions and burrows in dark, moist places like soil, under garden pots, rocks and dead wood. Centipede bite comes from a pincer like claws that injects venom which causes palpitation, nausea, headache, vomiting, itching and severe pain. First aid treatment: Keep the bite wound clean by washing with soap and water and apply cold compress to ease the pain. Seek medical care immediately.

Scorpion. This terrestrial arachnid can survive in both extreme hot and cold areas. It is equipped with two lobster like pincers and a segmented tail with a stinger at the tip. When it stings, it injects a venom that can trigger allergic reactions to humans that causes restlessness, swelling, suffocation in the chest, an increase in body temperature and severe pain. First aid treatment: Clean the affected area with soap and water and apply cold compress to slow the venom’s spread and ease the pain. Keep the affected limb raised to heart’s level and see a doctor immediately.

Wasp. A winged insect with a narrow waist and a stinger at the end of its abdomen. Wasp can be found all over the word. Only the female wasp can sting and although very painful, it is usually not life threatening except for people who are allergic to wasp sting. A stinging victim may experience nausea, vomiting, swelling and a decrease in blood pressure. In severe cases, it can cause extreme breathing difficulty, loss of consciousness and even death. Although annoying and aggressive, wasp is extremely beneficial to humans. First aid treatment: Remove the stinger immediately by using your fingernails or a tweezer and wash affected area with soap and water. Apply cold compress to alleviate the pain and seek medical care as soon as possible if the person is allergic to wasp sting.

So, if you need to work in your garden, wear your gloves for protection and remember, these insects don’t bite or sting just because they like to, it’s a part of their defense mechanism. Have fun gardening.

Go organic. Grow your own food.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *